Friday 23 July 2010

38 weeks pregnant

With 2 weeks left to our due date, I am beginning to get fed up and tired of being pregnant. In real terms, it may be 4 weeks until the little wiggler shows her face and that thought fills me with dread! I'm almost envious of Christina having her caesarian booked in and knowing when her new baby will arrive. Of course I rationalise that these things must not be rushed and Gracie-wiggle will make an appearance when she's good and ready, but I can't help getting impatient. I am trying to make the most of my time alone to be well rested and catch up with all those people I haven't seen for a while. Today I'm having a duvet-day on the sofa, slowly plodding through one DVD after another as I'm still getting over the summer cold I have been afflicted with this past week.

38 weeks and still growing!


Well my parents visit came and went without much aplomb, and I know the next time I see them we will have a new addition to the family. Having seen the midwife on Monday, she confirmed that baby's head is fully engaged and just a case of waiting. She did talk about what happens if I go overdue, but we're not thinking about that too much at the moment as she says she hopes she doesn't need to see me for a 40 week appointment!

Our nursery is finished, my hospital bag is packed, I have batch cooked until I have lasagne portions coming out of my ears. The only thing this week that has tickled my interest, is trying to think of the positives of being pregnant in order to convince myself to relax and enjoy these last few weeks with bump...

1) Eating what I like, when I like without worrying about the effect it may have on my weight. I'm now 3 stone heavier than I was when found out I was pregnant so I figure 'what the hell'. Naturally this is with good intent to ensure baby in utero is well nourished. Calorie counting is not advised by the NHS in pregnancy, and I thank them for that wholeheartedly.

2) Being able to excuse myself from household duties without too much guilt coursing through my veins. Didn't feel up to hoovering today? I'm pregnant. Didn't get round to clearing the backlog of laundry? I'm pregnant. You get the gist. This also works for being in PJ's all day... I'm pregnant.

3) Wearing big knickers without having to explain why. I like big pants, and while pregnant I have not had to worry about what the emergency services might think should I be rushed into hospital and being exposed as a granny-pant wearer. My midwife actively encourages expectant mothers to wear them, and I do so with no encouragement needed. Once baby is here I will no doubt begin to worry my M&S biggies will be less acceptable, but at least if ever I'm on a ship when it goes down I will have enough material for making a sail.

4) Taking daytime naps infinitum.... sometimes 3 in one day!

5) Having a cover for bad parking - it's at an angle so I can get the door open enough to get myself and my bump out.

6) Having my supermarket shopping packed by a volunteer fundraiser for free while I catch my breath (this was only once and I would have left a donation had I had anything other than by debit card with me).

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Probably not enough to keep my sanity in check over the next fortnight until due date, but certainly enough to make me smile when I'm feeling a bit blue... another good reason for that duvet-day today!

Daisy-woof enjoying duvet time with her Mummy!


38 weeks down, 2 to go. Show me a sign you're cooked Gracie-wiggle...

No comments:

Post a Comment