Tuesday 11 October 2011

Flash Cards

There are two schools of thought on teaching babies early. Those who think it's a great opportunity to embrace the early years ability to absorb information effortlessly, and those who feel it in some way stops children from being children. It's a highly personal decision. For me, it's about having fun with Grace, and if I can make this educational then that's great. Let's go!

I've been doing some reading on the BrillBaby website and there's heaps of good tips on what to do, when to do it and what to avoid. Obviously being a pushy parent, Grace has a full timetable set out and we're going to test her at the end of phase-one brain-training. Joke... we're keeping it light.

I've printed off some flashcards from BrillBaby, simple colours, animals and other things we see on a day to day basis. We flick through the cards at quite a pace, maybe one card every 1-2 seconds; the speed keeps her interest and it's said thats the optimal rate for learning at her age. I read the title out as she see's the card. Over time I'll start to flip the card over so she can see the word straight afterwards - it suggests this on the website. We do 3 sessions a day when I'm home, usually when she's fresh and fit for activity - when she's fed and watered and not tired. After breakfast is a great session - she's almost grabbing the cards out of my hand to get to the next one.

Anyway, have a look at the website, see what you think. Grace is enjoying it, so I'm in the
it's a great idea
camp.


If you click on the header for this blog you can go straight to the Brillbaby website where I downloaded the flashcards from.

No comments:

Post a Comment